Running away to get married in Thailand, with family and friends in tow...

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tourist hell...

I've discovered some things on this trip...there are some things I want out of travel, and some things I don't...

Coming to Thailand means more for me then the regular holiday seeker. It is my heritage, after all, that I am seeking to learn more about. It is the motherland, my country. I have finally returned...

But Thailand is extremely popular amongst the travelling scene -- young, old, and in between. I have found myself to be in tourist hell right now, and for the rest of my trip. Actually, pretty much all my trip, with the exception of Sukhothai, was tourist hell. But now moreso than ever.

Right now, I'm on a beautiful island called Ko Phi Phi. You may have heard of it before, because it was greatly affected by the tsunami a few years ago. You only heard of Thailand (and not Indonesia, where most of the damage was) because the media plays on tourist dollars.

Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful here. But just by being here less than a day now..I walk around and all I see are tourists. I feel like the tourists outnumber the Thai people here. Not to mention that things are getting expensive as well. I would have loved to have seen this place 20 years ago...or even 10 years ago. I remember my friend Amanda telling me how beautiful of a place it was...beautiful it still is...serene..no. Hustle and bustle here.

Unfortunately, I'm not really enjoying Thailand as much as I would like to be. It's the evils of tourism, which the country needs (the tourist dollar)...Today, I went on a half day sunset tour on a boat...I didn't realize it would be about 87 people. I had a fat Israeli girl spill her tea on my stuff and shake her wet hair all over me..fat bitch! Not only that, at the end, her friend was almost ashing me with her nasty cigarette. Many many smokers on the boat...

So anyways, I'm a bit annoyed...

5 comments:

Nom de whom said...

Do you have time? Head to Koh Lanta and get a room at the freedom estate. There are still tourists, but not nearly so many and it is totally chill. Rent a moped and the whole island is yours.

CU said...

"Coming to Thailand means more for me then the regular holiday seeker."

"then"??? C'mon I know you've been out of the states for a few weeks, but you were edumacated in the western world ;p

marisa said...

No time to head to Koh Lanta...will have to save it for another trip. :(

Educated in the western world, but we've got ties here...that's what I mean...learning about the culture from a personal standpoint, not from a tourist one. Aren't you curious about your heritage? :p

hello vicki said...

Koh Phangan on the north side, Coconut Beach Resort. That's where you should go. I was just in Thailand for 2 1/2 months and went everywhere, that was the best. I found you on bootsnall because I'm researching where to get married. Where did you go?

Zpete said...

Hey, I go to Thailand 2 - 3 times a year. Go stay at smaller towns, people so friendly and want to help. Going back again, 2nd this year July 17th, cannot wait. I use phuket as a hub for most of SEAsia, AirAsia so cheap to go anywhere.
Chalong is my regular haunt. Dive town / port actually. Hardly see any tourists, many expats.
Love Thailand.
Kiwi Pete